Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, tell your friends! If you don't like what you read, tell your enemies! Either way, please post a comment, even if it's just to tell us how much we suck! (We're really needy!) You can even follow us @JasonBerner! Or don't! See if we care!







Thursday, July 19, 2012

MAGNETS, BITCH!

The Emmy nominations came out today.  In just over two months, we'll find out if "Mad Men" strengthens its claim as the best show ever by winning a fifth consecutive "Best Drama" award.  I for one hope it doesn't.

Don't get me wrong: I like "Mad Men."  But this raises the inevitable question: Why?  As DOS and others have pointed out, in "Mad Men," nothing ever happens!  And not "nothing" in the funny, Seinfeldian sense, either.  You disagree?  OK, well, go ahead: Summarize the plot of any episode of "Mad Men."  If you respond that individual episodes are not the point--it's the overall series you have to consider--well, fair enough: Summarize the plot of the series.  At this point, you're probably saying something like, "It's about the 60's, Man!  It's about the fundamental cultural shifts that were rocking American society to the core."  Which is true (and you should really stop talking to your computer: Remember, I can't hear you. And people are starting to stare).  But, my friend, that is a theme, not a plot.  I stand by my initial comment.

As I say, though, I do like "Mad Men," and the reason is the one thing that makes the show somewhat unique.  If you want to enjoy "Mad Men," you should--indeed, must--enjoy it as a purely aesthetic experience, like looking at a beautiful painting.  Because the show is undeniably and indisputably well made.  The look of the show is flawless, thanks to Matthew Weiner's Aspergerian attention to detail.  And the characters are all engaging enough, even if what's happening to them is nothing more nor less than the standard ups and downs that you would expect to happen to any set of upper-middle-class white folk in the 1960s.  People marry, have affairs, die; drink, smoke, occasionally drop acid; go to work, get promoted, get fired.  And so on.  One can find enjoyment enough in spending an hour a week with these folks, but once the week's episode ends, one can scarcely recall what has just happened.  Because nothing really has.

The same cannot be said for the other best-drama nominees, each veritably stuffed with plot: "Boardwalk Empire," "Game of Thrones," and "Homeland" are all worthy nominees.  And this year "Breaking Bad" has returned to contention.  If there's any justice at all, "Breaking Bad" will win: Not only is it the best show on television right now, it is also quite possibly the best show ever, and for the life of me I cannot understand why several people I know, intelligent types with sophisticated tastes, have still not started watching it.  What are you people waiting for, a personal invitation?  Well I just gave you one!

The final drama nominee, or "draminee," is "Downton Abbey."  I don't watch that myself.  I know a lot of people love it, but I haven't gotten around to it.  I was under the impression, though, that "Downton Abbey" was actually an older show, and was only "new" in the sense that it hadn't been shown in the US.  Someone can clarify this for me.

We'll discuss other categories as the awards approach.  Hey, I have to hold something in reserve, in case writer's block strikes again.

2 comments:

  1. the reason I have not watched "Breaking Bad," "Mad Men," or "The Walking Dead" is because I did not start watching them from the beginning, and feel as though coming in this late in the game would not be beneficial since I already missed the character development up to this point. Additionally, I do not have Netflix, nor do I have the time to rent or watch the shows on-line to catch up to where they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda presumptuous assuming you're one of the intelligent people with sophisticated tastes I was referring to. . . .You don't have Netflix?

    ReplyDelete