Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, tell your friends! If you don't like what you read, tell your enemies! Either way, please post a comment, even if it's just to tell us how much we suck! (We're really needy!) You can even follow us @JasonBerner! Or don't! See if we care!







Friday, March 25, 2022

And the Oscar Goes to. . . .Yawn

 The trees are blooming, the weather is warming, and I'm all loge-y from the shift to Daylight Savings Time (FROM Daylight Savings Time? Daylight SavING Time?  Oh, who cares!).  This can only mean one thing: It's time to pick the Oscars!  So without further ado, here are the Solipsist's GUARANTEED* winners!

(*Winners not guaranteed.)

The usual caveats: I have not seen all the nominees, and these picks are based on a combination of (limited) familiarity with the films and cynical guesses about where the Academy will land.  Onward!

Best Picture

Many people think "West Side Story" could make history as the first remake of a Best Picture winner to win Best Picture. It won't make such history.  Not because it won't win--I mean, it won't--but because, even if it does, it won't be the first remake to achieve such a distinction.  That honor belongs to "Schindler's List," which anyone will tell you was a thinly-veiled remake of "The Sound of Music," only with less singing and more whimsical Nazis.

"The Power of the Dog" seems to be the favorite.  I thought the movie was OK--the parts of it that I saw, anyway, in between naps.  You know, much has been written about the impact of streaming on the movie industry: Is a movie a movie if it basically only plays on television?  Maybe, maybe not.  What it IS, though, is an invitation to drift off during the boring bits without feeling the guilt one would feel after spending a small fortune on a movie ticket.  And when a movie is ALL boring bits--Benedict Cumberbatch's naked dance notwithstanding--well. . .

What I'm saying is, "Dog" is a beautiful, heartfelt film that I'm sure anyone who stays awake through it will appreciate.

"Belfast": Haven't seen it.  I like Kenneth Branagh and all, but I don't think it will win. 

"CODA": I can't see this winning.  Well, OK, I can't HEAR it winning.  Sorry.

"Don't Look Up": They say satire is what closes on Saturday night, so this climate change allegory/satire faces long odds.  It's an enjoyable little movie, but it, too, suffers somewhat from its streaming nature.  It comes across as a really well-done and entertaining TV movie, but not a great piece of cinema.

"Drive My Car": Haven't seen it, but everything I've heard about it makes me think this is actually a sort of dark-horse contender.  Not sure if another foreign-language film will win best picture so soon after "Parasite," though.

"Dune" was a very good movie.  HALF a movie.  Maybe it can win half a best picture award.  And maybe in the second half Zendaya will get to talk.

"King Richard": Haven't seen it. I resent any movie that tries to make Richard Williams into a sympathetic figure.  (For the same reason, Will Smith won't win Best Actor.)

"Licorice Pizza": Love me some Paul Thomas Anderson.  "Magnolia" was spectacular (if for no other reason that it introduced scads of people to the music of Aimee Mann).  I have not actually seen "Licorice Pizza" yet, so I can't say whether it stands a chance.  But if it somehow did win, it would make me happy,

"Nightmare Alley": Also haven't seen it.  Also love me some Guillermo Del Toro.  He's already won, though, so . . .probably not.

All things being equal, with no clear and obvious lock, I'm just going to play it safe and go with the favorite. . . 

PICK: Power of tnjxsabcjdbdsvdzf.  Sorry, drifted off again: Power of the Dog

Best Actor

I'm thinking this is basically a two-man race between Benedict Cumberbatch and Denzel Washington ("The Tragedy of Macbeth").  Will the Academy officially "anoint" Cumberbatch one of the greatest actors of his generation (he is) or, alternatively, will they strengthen Denzel's claim to being the greatest actor of all time?  I also enjoyed Andrew Garfield in "Tick, Tick. . .Boom"; I don't think he'll win, but his performance did convince me to forgive him for his awful "Spider-Man."

PICK: Cumberbatch. Either this will be part of a "Dog" sweep, or this will be the "big" award the movie gets. 

Best Actress

Olivia Colman, Penelope Cruz, and Nicole Kidman have all won before, and I don't think any of them are in "showy" enough roles to merit another Oscar this year.  The phrase, "And the Oscar goes to. . .Kristen Stewart" would unseal the gates of Hell and unleash plague, war, and natural disaster upon the earth. . .  Well, OK, MORE plague, war, and natural disaster.  So. . . 

PICK: Jessica Chastain, "The Eyes of Tammy Faye."

Best Supporting Actor

My personal favorite of the nominees is J. K. Simmons, but since he's already won, I think he's a long-shot here--as was the case with the Best Actress nominees, Simmons' role in "Being the Ricardos" isn't really exciting enough to merit a second Oscar. I haven't seen "Belfast" or "Coda," so I'll go with Kodi-Smit McPhee--who was, undeniably, one of the more interesting elements of "Power of the Dog."

PICK: Kodi-Smit McPhee

Best Supporting Actress

I think "West Side Story" will win at least ONE of the biggies.

PICK: Ariana DeBose, "West Side Story."

Best Director

As much as I'd love to see Paul Thomas Anderson or Kenneth Branagh walk away with an Oscar, I'll go with the "safe" choice of picking the director whose movie I think will win Best Picture.

PICK: Jane Campion, "Power of the Dog"

And now, for everything else:

Animated Feature Film: "Encanto."  (Is this even a question?)

Cinematography: "The Tragedy of Macbeth" (The black and white movie always wins.)

Costume Design: "Dune" I actually have opinions about this one.  I'm not an overly technical-minded moviegoer, but while watching "Dune," I really did find myself thinking, "Man, those are some beautiful costumes," particularly the sort of formal attire worn by the Atreides clan.

Documentary Feature: "Summer of Soul" (Go with the one you've heard of.)

Documentary Short Subject: "Three Songs for Benazir" (Go with the one with the funniest name,)

Film Editing: "Dune" I often think that, when a big fantasy/science-fiction movie is in the running, it will take home a lot of the more technical awards, so "Dune" will be my pick for a lot of these.  I also find it hilarious that "Power of the Dog"--an over-long slog--gets nominated for "Best Editing."

International Feature: "Drive My Car" (It's nominated for Best Picture, for Pete's sake!)

Makeup and Hairstyling: "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" (You hear "Tammy Faye Bakker," the first thing you think of is hair and make-up.)

Original Score: "Encanto."

Original Song: "Dos Oruguitas" (And we won't talk about why we're not talking about Bruno.)

Production Design: "Dune"

Animated Short Film: "Bestia" ('Cuz I like animals?)

Live-Action Short Film: "The Long Goodby" ('Cuz I closed my eyes and pointed a finger at the Oscar ballot?)

Sound: "Dune"

Visual Effects: "Dune"

Adapted Screenplay: "Power of the Dog"

Original Screenplay: "Don't Look Up" (It'll win SOMETHING.)

Enjoy the show, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Of COURSE I must comment, if only to point out that you're offbase on much of this for the most common of reasons: You are using common sense and logic and, worst of all, factual information, to make your predictions
    You have obviously forgotten whom you are dealing with (These are the people who, in order to boost ratings on a MOVIE award show, hire as hosts those giants of the silver screen Rebecca Hall, Amy Shumer. and Wanda Sykes because, well, Denver Pyle is gone
    So: In the order you write:
    Best Picture:
    West Side Story only wins if the category is for perfectly fine remake of a film that absolutely didn't need any remaking. It doesn't add anything to the original (except, yes, having latinx characters actually played by latinx actors and proving conclusively that Richard Beymer WASN'T the most bland "Tony" in history) and it replaces Jerome Robbins brilliance with Justin Peck's mere excellence
    Power of the Dog
    Why we even needed a biopick of Snoop Do... what? Oh, never mind (haven't actually seen it, probably won't. I may be the only other human on the planet who finds Jane Campion a fairly boring director
    CODA
    HAS won a couple of awards and might win this one
    Belfast
    A very quietly brilliant work of film-making. The entire film is told through the eyes of a nine-year old without EVER becoming "cute", "coy" "treacly" or childish; only real
    "Don't Look Up"
    Didn't look up so missed it completely
    Drive My Car
    3 HOURS... in a language I don't understand... I could listen to a Trump speech for that!
    Dune
    Nuthin' dune; agree with your comment
    King Richard
    Too long by half and entirely predictable. But well enough done
    Licorice Pizza
    Anderson makes movies you can't not watch and then can't remember why
    Also, you're the only one I know who talks about "Magnolia" without mentioning frogs
    Nightmare Alley
    OH COME ON!!!
    What is this even DOING on the list
    It's not even as good as the original even with all the freedom it has that the original didn't. It's not BAD mind, just so ...um... OH COME ON!
    You ARE right, however. "Dog" will win because Hollywood loves a remake and this would be a remake of the year Campion's "The Piano" beat out Spielberg's "Schindler's List"
    BEST ACTOR
    It's a ONE-MAN race: Will Smith wins
    Should he? Herll, no!
    But he will; proving he is a better actor than either Washington OR Cumberbatch (After all, could EITHER of them play Will Smith in as many movies as Smith has? Not to mention the Fresh Prince!
    BEST ACTRESS
    See, that's what I mean: You think just because Chastain SHOULD win, she will
    Nope
    It'll be Coleman 'cause everybody (me included) loves her
    SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Troy Kutsur (sp?) He's won everywhere else
    SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Agree
    DIRECTOR
    Of COURSE it'll be Campion, if only because Sam Elliot was "mean" to her
    It SHOULD be Branagh, but his work was too subtle to be applauded (Hell, even being able to use the words Branagh and Subtle in the same sentence should get SOME kind of award!
    Animated Feature
    No, it'll be The Millers versus The Machines so everyone can feel "rebellious"
    Don't care enough about most of the rest but predict Dos Oruguitas if only because everyone love Lin-Manuel and wants to help him towards his EGOT (and because the song in a MUSICAL ARE the score and the nomination for Encanto is for best ARRANGER really
    Any typos are not my fault: I blame the Republicans

    ReplyDelete