Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, tell your friends! If you don't like what you read, tell your enemies! Either way, please post a comment, even if it's just to tell us how much we suck! (We're really needy!) You can even follow us @JasonBerner! Or don't! See if we care!







Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'm Going to Miss That Grumpy Cripple

All things being equal, the "House" series finale was pretty good.  Not the best I've ever seen--"Newhart" or "Star Trek: The Next Generation"--but far from the worst--"The X-Files," followed closely by "Seinfeld."  Let's say that "House" settles nicely into the "M*A*S*H"/"Cheers"-level of finale quality: a bit melancholy, sure, but overall satisfying.  I'm glad we didn't actually have to watch Wilson die.  My only real complaint: I was hoping for a Cuddy sighting; realistically, would Lisa Cuddy not have shown up at House's funeral--if only to make sure he was actually dead?  (That must have been some nasty contract dispute.)

**********************************************
Some have wondered whether Hugh Laurie will ever escape this iconic character, but he has a major advantage over other typecast actors: that accent.  I caught as little of the pre-show "House" retrospective as possible, but, still, when I saw (or, more relevantly, heard) Hugh Laurie chatting with Robert Sean Leonard in this deep, Oxonian register, even I had a hard time remembering that this was the same man who's been playing the adenoidal Greg House for the last eight years--and I've always known he was British.  If/when he wants to do other shows in the States, all he has to do is use his regular voice.  I can hear the viewers now: "Man, this guy really looks like the guy who played House!  Must be related."

***********************************************
The saddest thing about all this is that "House" was about the last high-quality drama on network TV.  I'm sure this will be a temporary situation, though.  I mean, look: Fox already has "House"'s replacement all ready to roll:  "The Mob Doctor". . . .

God, I'm depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment