Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, tell your friends! If you don't like what you read, tell your enemies! Either way, please post a comment, even if it's just to tell us how much we suck! (We're really needy!) You can even follow us @JasonBerner! Or don't! See if we care!







Thursday, August 15, 2013

Literally an Important Post

Merriam-Webster has officially given up.  The latest edition provides the following as the secondary definition of the word "literally":
"in effect : virtually literally
turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice — Norman Cousins>"
So I guess you could say that Merriam-Webster has literally thrown in the towel.  I mean you could say that, but I won't; I like my words to retain their meanings.  

I know such literal nitpicking is persnickety as heck--and quite honestly, I usually wouldn't call somebody out for such a casual usage of "literally."  I take strong issue, however, with a dictionary literally declaring that an acceptable definition of "literally" is literally "not literally."

I think it's nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment