Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, tell your friends! If you don't like what you read, tell your enemies! Either way, please post a comment, even if it's just to tell us how much we suck! (We're really needy!) You can even follow us @JasonBerner! Or don't! See if we care!







Saturday, November 3, 2012

Desk Job

The desk at which Bram Stoker wrote Dracula will be sold at auction in December.  The auction house expects the desk to go for between $60,000 and $80,000, so, y'know, if you're looking for a Channukah gift for your favorite blogger....

A British furniture-artist (apparently Britain has such things) has pimped out the desk, attempting to maintain its classic "essence" but also incorporating "embroidered imagery. . . including bats, a savage hound and scrolling rose thorns and buds."


I'm not sure how I feel about these "improvements."  If someone told me he was the proud owner of Bram Stoker's desk and then showed me this gothic escritoire replete with bats and bones, I would think I was being punked.  I wouldn't want to accept the idea that something so tacky would once have belonged to so famous a man of letters.

If you must buy furniture of literary significance, I understand the chair in which Philip Roth sat while composing Portnoy's Complaint will come up for bid soon.  THAT one, I might consider  reupholstering.

No comments:

Post a Comment