Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, tell your friends! If you don't like what you read, tell your enemies! Either way, please post a comment, even if it's just to tell us how much we suck! (We're really needy!) You can even follow us @JasonBerner! Or don't! See if we care!







Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bounty Hunting

I consider myself a fairly intelligent man.  And, in keeping with the stereotypes of my Jewish faith, I am always on the lookout for a bargain.  So it is with considerable chagrin that I confess to constantly feeling stymied whenever I need to purchase paper towels.

I'll be damned if I can figure out the best deal.  I mean, I'm sure buying a single roll would be a bad idea--and, the way we go through paper towel at Solipsist Central, a virtual waste of time.  When buying in bulk, though, I just can't do the math.  Of course, I always look for generic brands first.  But is a six-roll pack of "Jumbo" Bounty towels on sale for, say, $7.98, a better value than an 8-pack of "Large" no-name towels for $7.29?  And now, the bastards have complicated things even further by introducing "adjustable" towels: So instead of automatically tearing off a "standard" size sheet every time you need to wipe up your grape juice, you can opt for a sheet one- or two-thirds the size!  Is this a better value or worse?  I suspect people conscientiously tear off a one-third piece, thinking that will be enough, only to discover that they actually need a full sheet--which they then tear off, thus using one and one-third sheets?!?  Where does it end?

Yes, I know the trick lies in looking at the length of the roll, printed on the packaging, and then doing the multiplication to figure out how many total feet of paper-towel each package contains, but who has time for that?  I'm an English teacher, for God's sake, not some Lawrence Livermore egghead!

Don't even get me started on toilet paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment