Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, tell your friends! If you don't like what you read, tell your enemies! Either way, please post a comment, even if it's just to tell us how much we suck! (We're really needy!) You can even follow us @JasonBerner! Or don't! See if we care!







Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Great Moments in Not Listening

Students have an excuse: They're students!  So I don't get overly worked up when, for example, a student, trying to turn in a draft of an essay electronically, keeps sending me a link to Google Docs, even though I keep writing back to him explaining that I am unable to open the link properly.  I at least give him points for effort--and deduct points for an apparent lack of reading comprehension skills, but those will come, Gol' durn it!  Teachers, on the other hand, should be held to a higher standard.

This morning, a teacher was using the computer lab where I work.  This lab is extremely busy, especially in the early days of a semester: We are continually providing orientation sessions to new students, one class after another, hour after hour after hour. . . and Yours Truly has to provide many of these orientations.  Which perhaps explains my current level of general intolerance--I felt the urge to throw a rock at the flashing traffic sign that was admonishing me for going all of 32 miles an hour in a 30 mile an hour zone.  I mean, come ON, Department of Transportation, don't you know that speed limits kill more people than they save?!?

Where was I?

Oh, yes, so this teacher was using the lab.  I had to go off to teach.  I knew, however, that immediately after my class, I had to rush back to the lab to do one of these orientations, so, before I left, I asked the teacher--who had just thanked me profusely for helping her gain access to the lab on short notice, by the way--to make sure she just left all the computers ON when she was done. . . .

Yeah, exactly.

I mean, this is an educated person.  And she had one job!

Maybe next time I'll ask my student to send this teacher instructions.  Before she figures out how to open Google Docs, I'll be back and can prevent her from turning off the computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment